Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to move Active Directory ??? Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj92713696

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
US
I recently installed Active Directory and have since run into several problems. I've tried to remove Active Directory using "dcpromo.exe", but it says it can't connect to the domain controller, thus it's unsuccessful. It's a one server network. I don't even have any clients attached to this server. I installed Windows 2000 Server at home to test. I don't want to format however, b/c I do have some data I'd like to preserve. I want to forcibly remove Active Directory anyway I can. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
C.J.

Howdy,

You should double check this with Microsoft, but I recall reading something about Active Directory not being removable from the first domain controler in the domain. If this is the only server in the domain, I would presume it's the first domain controller.

HTH

Sean.

I've gotta dissagree with Spacely.
I recently removed Active Directory from the first (and only) DC in my network and I used dcpromo.com to do it. I even had clients running already.
It sounds like another problem... I got the "cannot contact domain controller" message from DCpromo once, but it was when I was trying to create a second DC and I didn't have the DNS configured right on the second server.

Reagan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back