Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to move a port into a different VLAN on a 3500yl 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbalouie

Technical User
Mar 25, 2009
US
I had a vendor replace my old Cisco switches with shiny new 3500yl's. There are 6 switches in total with one id'd as the core switch.

They have configured multiple vlans on the switches and all the necessary routing.

Currently all my servers, workstations and printers (about 200 devices) are all on the default vlan (192.168.1.0). I want to start moving my servers onto one of the unused vlans, the one I'm looking at is 10.0.2.0 which I see id'd as vlan 4.

I'd like to test out that the routing is working correctly by moving a workstation or two over to the new vlan and seeing how it goes.

What commands do I use to move a switch port out of one vlan and into the another.

Thanks In Advance!

Oh yeah, I'm using the CLI on the switch.

All you have to do is issue a untagged port number command under the vlan interface you are wanting that port in so for example

vlan 10
untagged 24

port 24 could have been already untagged under VLAN 1 or whatever, but issuing the command will move it to the vlan interface you are currently configuring.
As far as routing, as long as you see the statement

ip routing

in the config, the VLANs will route between each other as long as the VLAN interface(s) are assigned IP addresses. If they are not, then they are only operating at layer 2 not layer 3. Some other switch might be routing them upstream, like your core switch.

Hope that helps.

oh, this looks to easy. nothing in my life is this easy!

will give it a whirl.

Thanks!

It's that easy from the CLI. I've had issue before from the GUI that required me to untag it back to vlan1 first, if it wasn't already, then untag it to the vlan I was aiming for, but I have not tried that in a while and HP has come out with a couple of software updates since then.

By golly you were right! It was that easy.

I moved it into the new vlan and could get everywhere around the LAN. Unfortunately, I could not get out past my gateway and onto the internet for some reason.

I'll have to plunk away at that next.

Thanks for the help though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back