Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to move a new toolbar off the taskbar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellohello1

Technical User
Jun 30, 2006
US
With Windows XP, I would create my own toolbars and then drag them to the top of my screen.

But with Windows 7, I can't seem to move the toolbar off the taskbar.

I right click on the Taskbar, go to Toolbars, New Toolbar and create it. I make sure "Lock the Taskbar" is unchecked.

But I am unable to click and drag my newly created Toolbar off of the Taskbar.

Help!

thanks for writing. i checked the two links you provided. the first link was about Vista, but I have Win 7.

the second link said it was no longer available.

that's too bad. :-(

i wonder if there's a safe 3rd party add-in or tool to do what I want.

thanks again.

Can't you just create a Folder with whatever links you want in it and place a Shortcut to the said folder on the Desktop, or Pin it to the Start Menu, or the Taskbar?

thank for writing.

i could create a folder with links and create a desktop shortcut to that folder, but that desktop shortcut wouldn't sit on top of all my windows. And also then i would need two clicks: one to open the folder and another to open the link.

Same with pinning it to the Start menu or Taskbar.

While it doesn't work the way the old XP toolbars did, Stardock's Objectdock is a very nice dock application.

You would need to drag the shortcuts to it instead of automatically creating a toolbar form a folder, but other than that it works very nicely.

I use the Free version, however the paid version has some extra features, like additional tabs to categorize shortcuts, and the ability to have more than one dock on screen.

The free version offers a straight forward application launcher with some nice features. Additionally, for those apps that I use less regularly, you can create a menu, by dragging the folder to it. When clicked it will pop up a menu listing the contents of the folder.

All in all is a good tool to have in Windows 7, even though I do like the new application bar. But like many I don't like to have a crowded bar there.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

thanks for writing. i checked out ObjectDock. i see there were 8 millions downloads on download.com. wow.

looks good. i'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Glad you like it.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back