Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to monitor RAID status

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
I have some Dells with Perc 4 cards and when the raid fails the server starts beeping like mad so that i'm alerted to the fact.

I have a lot of newer servers with Perc 5 and 6 cards but these cards do not create an audible alarm, i have confimed this with Dell.

Apart from manually checking the Dell open manage software every day, how do i tell if the RAID has degraded?

What are you guys doing?
Thanks
Paul.

Set up the Openmanage software to email you(have it run a script) if it gets a failure. I do this for all types of failures and have a few generic scripts like hightemp.cmd , hardware.cmd, Raidissue.cmd etc .

Norm

Thanks norm, i did see that it can run a script. I wouldn't know where to start with creating a script, have you got any examples?

Thanks

Paul

to create a script just create a file using notepad and rename it with the extension .bat or .cmd

For the email portion you can set up outlook express and use the mailto: command or download and use the blat mail program

using blat, in script called temp.cmd.....(note : Temp.txt can also have info in it that you create ahead of time)

cd C:\winback

C:\Winback\blat.exe Temp.txt -to norm@xxxx.com -s " High Temp on xxx Server !!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back