Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to modify Default font in pagemaker 6.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gops15

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
IN
Hi,
How to change the default font "The Times New Roman" to "Helvetica-Normal".

The second problem i'am having with pagemaker is

When I copy some paragraph from word document and paste in pagemaker 6.5. The last line of the paragraph is changing to "The Times New Roman" the rest is as in the word document. I checked in the word document wheather the font is changed...everything is perfect in word document...any ideas!

my third problem in pm65

when I choose insert object from edit>insert object(create new radio button selected) and select microsoft word document file...i'am getting a error message "Cannot use OLE object. Pagemaker cannot start the server application, make sure there is enough memory and that the server is installed properly"

my system configuration PIII 500mhz 256MB Ram 10GB harddisk

any help??

Q1. default font can be changed in PM as follows:
Before ANY DOCUMENT IS OPEN, go to Type>Font and select the font you wish to have as your default. Any new document created from then on will be in the font you have selected to be the default.

Q2. It will be something to do with whether you have selected the last paragraph mark in Word. However, you should not use copy/paste to get a Word doc into PM. It is usually recommended that you save the Word doc as an RTF (rich text format) which is one of the file formats available when you save the Word doc. Then use File>Place to get the RTF file into PM. The reason for this is that copy/paste brings in the Word styles - and if these conflict with styles within PM, the publication will become corrupted. Not nice.

Q3. this has already been answered - try and avoid using the Insert>Object command for PM, particularly for Word docs. Use File>Place instead. If you are trying to place a Word or Excel table, then make a PDF of the original document, and then use File>Place to bring the table into PM.

Hi Eggles,

Thank you very much

Thanks for the tip on copying text from Word into PM. Very helpful. Now my question is: what about going the other way? There isn't exactly a "Place" item in Word's File menu. Should one use "Insert Object?"

When I DO copy-and-paste from PM into Word, I find that parts of the text change, and erratically, into a different font SIZE, and sometimes also into that infernal Times New Roman.

Ted Voelkel

I would go into PM's Story Editor, then copy the text and paste directly into Word.

Do NOT use Insert Object or anything fancy. Word is pretty simple compared to PM.

Re the styles chaging - blame Word for that, not PM. If the text is staying in Word, then create some suitable Word styles and apply them. If the text is coming back into PM after editing in Word, then highlight the lot, (Control A) and apply the Normal style to all of it. When you are ready to take it back into PM, save as RTF, place it in PM, then apply PM's styles.

Full details on setting PageMaker Defaults can be found in the PageMaker Knowledgebase at:
If you want to change the colours of the Column, Ruler, or Margin Guides, see: But beware, changing these colours involves editing the Registry.

MSWord
I second Eggles advice. Do not use Paste Special or Insert Object; they are only there to gain Windows compliance.

As regards importing text from MSWord, tt is extremely difficult to creats styles in Word that EXACTLY match styles in PM. If you are having serious problems with the styles, forget them; save the MSWord doc as *.TXT file and place that, then apply the styles in PM.

Iechyd da! John
02:22 09/01/03 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back