Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to mimic lens filter of a real camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistercitizen

Technical User
Apr 1, 2004
AU
I have some images which i have taken under certain lighting conditions, which have resulted in yellow/orange hues throughout the images. There is a lens filter (a real filter!) which cancels this effect on photographic images.

How do I mimic this effect, so that my whites are white etc?

Thanks in advance!

You can try the variations menu, but ultimately you will most likely need to use curves/or levels to make manual corrections. Either of those palletes will enable you to set white, black and 50% gray. Often that will fix the problems.

My guess is you have either late evening or early morning images to get the type of hues you are describing. If that is the case you are probably not going to be able to accomplish a good correction.

If there is a custom photo lab near you (a good one) they may be able to correct most of the problem when printing the image. If it's digital this option is no good.

If possible next time use the filter. :)

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Click on the white point eyedropper in the levels dialog, and click on a white area in your picture. If you don't get the correct white balance, keep clicking on different white areas until you are satisfied.

If you have a digital camera, see if you can set a manual (custom) white balance. This will help you get the correct colors without using a filter.

OK, most of the photos were taken inside a refrigerator, using that light within the fridge.

I don't have the filter, otherwise I would have used it. I'll try your techniques, and see how that goes.

If it's refrigerator light then you have an incandescent color shift. You should be able to fix that ok with Levels or Curves. In fact you can probably fix it by opening either of those tools and clicking "auto". At least auto should take care of most of the problem.

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back