Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to migrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHDH

Programmer
Feb 13, 2007
MR
hello all,
i'm a computer sciences departement responsable,
i have a local network of about 30 Pc,two shared printers,
no internet connection,i have a Unisys PentuimII server
witch run windows Nt server Edition.
the server consist of all our databses wich is accessed by other Pcs through a windows application.
My question is that :if i want to replace the NT By 2000 server or 2003 server what i must do as changes. and witch is best Nt,2000 or 2003?
My second Question if i want to increase the Ethernet speed from 10Mbits/s to 100 Mbits/s what i must do.
Plz help me.
thank u in advance

Second question first: To increase network speed, install a new compatible network card with a 10/100 Mbit adapter. (Just about any sold today should qualify). Then make sure you have a network switch that supports 100Mbit connections. Again, just about any sold today will qualify.

First question:
For the existing hardware, Server 2000 should work... but if you can upgrade the hardware, (read replace), then I'd strongly advise Server 2003. In part because 2000 is no longer (or almost no longer) supported by Microsoft.

If you do upgrade to 2000, you would be foolish to not try installing all applications currently installed on a test machine to ensure they will work. You might even want to make an image backup of the drives before hand to ensure easy recovery.

You don't mention if the NT server is setup as a PDC or not... that can make an important difference in how you do this.

thank you very much for your response.
i have another question,execuse me i don't know if it is suitable to ask it on this forum or not!
the question:i want to do a connection with an agency of our society at a distance of 450Km, the agency have
PHP pentuim 4 runing windows xp profesional,i want to know
the best method to rely this PC by My NT server or 2003 server(VPN or other method ) and the steps i must do.
thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back