Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to migrate a DOMAIN account's settings to a LOCAL account 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyHindle

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I'm using Win2K professional. The account I use was a member of a DOMAIN. That DOMAIN no longer exists.

I can still login to my account though (of course) the account is verified locally, not via a server, and hence my password can not be changed etc.

I have a very "customised" environment, with desktop, tool bars etc. set the way I want them.

Is there an "easy" way to migrate the settings associated with the old DOMAIN account to the local account.
Regards
Guy Hindle

As far as I can remember, when we changed server and had to change all the accounts over, we just copied C:\Documents and Settings\user name. Then a paste into the user name for the local account will carry the desktop settings and favorites etc over.

Hope this helps

Kathy

Go into the registry and look for the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
in this folder you will find other folders specifing users setup on the pc. Identify which user is the one you want by clicking on a subfolder and looking at ProfileImagePath on the right. This will tell you the path of where the user is stored. Swap the user that's logging into the domain with the local user name (r-click ProfileImagePath -modify) ie: c:\docs&settings\user1 and c:\docs&settings\user1.domain. Make sure you change both ProfileImagePath. Restart and login w/ the local account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back