Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to merge Quark files with linked pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funky64dude

Technical User
Mar 9, 2006
NL
Hi there,

I've got 2 Quark (6.5) files and I want to merge them to one file. The problem is that the file that I want to insert contains pages with linked text boxes. The page order of the file to be inserted must not change, otherwise the text order will be messed up.

Does anybody know how to do this?

Greetz,
Funky.

...have you expored the thumbnails function, select the pages from one document and drag them to the other in thumbnail view...

To drag pages between projects, both projects must be open. The target layout must have the same page size, or a larger page size, than the source layout. If the pages you want to drag are facing pages, the target layout must have facing pages. If the source layout is a layout without facing pages, the target layout should not have facing pages either. To drag thumbnails between projects:

On Mac OS, press Option while choosing Window ? Tile. This automatically arranges the projects on-screen and displays them in Thumbnails views.
On Windows, Choose Window ? Tile Horizontally or Tile Vertically so that both project windows are visible, then display each project as Thumbnails (View ? Thumbnails).

Select any tool and click the pages you want to move in the source project. To move a range of pages, click the first page then press Shift while you click the last page you want to move. To move nonsequential pages, press (Mac OS) or Ctrl (Windows) while clicking to select individual pages.

Drag the thumbnails to the target project. When you drag a thumbnail page to a different location, the pointer indicates where the page will be inserted and the way in which adjoining pages will be affected.

A page icon pointer indicates that inserting the page at that location will not affect existing project pages. The Force Left pointer indicates that the existing pages in the spread will be forced to the left. The Force Right pointer indicates that existing pages in the spread will be forced to the right.
To move a thumbnail page between two spreads, drag the thumbnail and release the mouse button when the Force Down pointer displays. Spreads that follow the inserted pages are forced down.

When you’re finished moving pages, return the project to a percentage view. You cannot edit pages in Thumbnails view. If you need to edit pages in a reduced view, change the view percentage to a small size such as 10% or 20%.
If you dragged thumbnails to recover pages in a damaged project, delete the blank page that was the original page 1 of the target project (Page ? Delete). This page is no longer needed.

Andrew

...be warned though that your colors may be change if they have identical names in one document to another e.g. color 1 may be red in doc 1, color 1 may be green in doc 2, the green may end up red or the red may end up green depending on which document you put into another...

...the solution is to have unique color names always, which is good practice anyway...

Andrew

Thnx, Andrew for the valuable words!
I think my fault was that one ducument was filled with facing pages and the other wasn't.
I had my experience with the thumbview-dragging, but I got on the bottom every page the dreaded red-box-with-red-cross. Every page was filled with the same text.
This method solves the problem.

Thnx and greetz,
Funky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back