Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to merge 2 columns in a spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

annew

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Hello,

I have never used Microsoft Access before in my life, and am told it is a hard program to use. What I need to do is:
Open a text file (from a spreadsheet) in Access. I am told I need to create a query to merge 2 of the fields together, then export the new spreadsheet.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Anne

If I understand correctly, you want to import a CSV (delimited text) file into an Access table and then concatenate two fields together and export as CSV.

Is this correct? How far have you gotten?

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

If that is all you wish to do, then you don't need Access. You can do the join in Excel with the concatenate function.

[pc]

Graham

Good Morning! What I am actually doing is downloading the National Do Not Call lists for particular area codes my company will dial to. It comes in a .txt format, and needs to be re-saved in a .txt format. The Auto Dialer cannot accept the area code and phone number in seperate fields, so that is why I need these 2 fields merged. I have tried numerous times in Excel, and for some reason it will not save correctly ie: I need to open the file in WordPad and each field must have a beginning and end quote and a coma after each "9255555555",. I was told by the Auto Dialer company that Access was the only software I could use. Your suggestions or assistance would be appreciated.

Anne

Import the file into Excel as text. use the concatenate function to join the fields together amd output as a csv file just renamed to .txt. This should give you what you want.

[pc]

Graham

I would use the import wizard: File|Get External Data|Import
Leave the field names as Field1 and Field2. Make the table name tblImport.
Then create a query based on tblImport. Create a single column in the query with an expression like:
Both: [Field1] & [Field2]
Save the query. You can then right click on the query and choose Export. Select Delimited... and follow the wizard to create your text file.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back