Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make Spellcheck force abbreviation expansion (XP)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wordhopscotch

Technical User
Jun 20, 2008
US
Is there some way I can get the Spellcheck/AutoCorrect to do abbreviation expansion for a document that's already been typed? Some background: I have CP. I type with word prediction and abbreviation expansion in Microsoft Word (XP). For the abbreviation expansion I edited the AutoCorrect/spellcheck replacements heavily, so that typing "sth" and a space or punctuation expanded to "something" for example. But obviously I can't program my expansions on a public computer. I can type my shorthand but the program can't expand it as I type. So, I have to retype it when I get home.

But I was wondering if, if I put an unexpanded document on my home computer, I could scan it with the Spellcheck, have my abbreviations register as misspellings, and have "something" come up as a correction for "sth" which would thereby expand my abbreviations. But just having my shorthand in AutoCorrect doesn't make the Spellcheck recognize it. "Add to dictionary" accomplishes the exact opposite of what I want to do. I think I have to edit the Spellcheck suggestions themselves, but don't know how, or if I can. There are program files that look promising-- THDIC.LEX, and TRIGRAM.LEX, because it says they're dictionary files. But I can't open them, at least not so they make any sense. Is this even possible?

This is nowhere near as easy as it ought to be - and will need VBA code.

You can iterate over the spelling errors (if they are all errors) but you cannot directly reference autocorrections by name. The best way of doing it may depend on how many of these that you have (and whether or not you use only one language).

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back