Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make Postgresql start up with Linux Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisoo22

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello all,

I just moved my system to the new Fedora OS (although it's almost exactly the same as Red Hat 9.0). Postgresql does not seem to start up with the OS bootup. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm only finding partial instructions on the web =P I'm pretty new at configuring Linux software.

Thanks,
Jisoo22

probably if you used a package from fedora i think it should have put you the script in /etc/init.d/ and the rc dirs, but if not I don't know

but if you compiled postgre from the sources, then go to the sources dir for example
cd ~/postgresql-7.4.1
there should be contrib/start-scripts subdir
cd contrib/start-scripts
and see the file called linux
open it and see the instructions (the comments)

If you are running a graphical desktop you can try
Main Menu -> System Settings -> Server Settings -> Services

If you want to run the program this launches without the gui - the program is redhat-config-services

This gives you a windows like list of services- you can start them, stop them, and set them to start at various run levels- such as boot up.

It is still good to get familiar with the postgresql script in /etc/rc.d/init.d because you may need to edit it- say in the event you want postgres to start with the -i option so that it accepts connections over the network, etc.

The most simple answer under Fedora is:
under a Terminal console, enter as root and start
ntsysv
there make sure that the postgresql is checked.

That's all. I should start automatically when you reboot.

Cristian

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back