Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make PC-Linq work between Win10 PCs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
AU
I still have a PC-Linq 'bridging - cross-over' cable that used to allow data transfer between 98E and XP in a user-friendly and effective way. I would like to use it between Win10 PCs. There is a 2018 post on the web that claims it still works for Win10, provided it is installed and run As Administrator, and that the Compatibility Mode is set (for WinXP). I have done that and when it failed, I ran the Troubleshooter which came back with 'Mdi is incompatible'. Knowing that PCs often tell diagnostic lies, I figure that the software could be inadequate or any number of other gremlins could be causing the failure. I already know about work-arounds - the easiest being to use a USB-stick - and ethernet-wise, I KNOW that Team Viewer also works. After a great deal of effort, I've had NO success with networking through ethernet cable, so spare me reminders about THAT option. The only modern version I could find, from USBGear has user comments at which range from EXCELLENT to ABYSMAL. I'm NOT after work-arounds, but in finding out if anybody-out-there can reproduce the success in getting PC-Linq to work with Win10 which was claimed by the post I quoted.

Don't ask for help with a problem and simultaneously poo-poo possible solutions. The correct and simplest solution is both computers plugged into a common network via ethernet (to a switch or router) OR wireless and using Windows networking. You're searching in left field for a solution. You could pay a professional to come out to help you with implementation. That's what we do.

The correct and simplest solution is both computers plugged into a common network via ethernet (to a switch or router) OR wireless and using Windows networking. I've been told about networking over and over, AND I HAVE TRIED IT but it does not work FOR ME. I'm looking in the left field because the right field is not co-operating.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but you're overlooking the best and most straight-forward method. If you can't accomplish it, pay for support from a qualified professional. People network windows computers every day.

PC Linq is apparently a tool for transferring files.
A USB SSD would do just as well, I think.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I'm looking in the left field because the right field is not co-operating.

You admit what the right solution is but, 'cos it's not working for you (and you don't mention why not or error messages, etc.) you clutch at straws and seek off-beat and ancient solutions. (TeamViewer... why?)

I agree with @goombawaho. You're not helping yourself, just muddying the water unnecessarily.

My post is about the possibility of using PC-Linq in Win10 - it did NOT ask how to transfer data.

Hi Sebastian42,

It could be that the PC-Linq solution was still working in W10 in 2018 (as stated in the link you gave above), but now after the latest W10 updates it no longer works. It just depends on whether the supplied PC-Link app is still running properly on the newest W10. I don't know, just guess because I'm not using this solution.

Sebastian42 said:
After a great deal of effort, I've had NO success with networking through ethernet cable, so spare me reminders about THAT option.
In the past I used to connect my PC with an ethernet crossover cable, like It's a universal solution, it's the cheapest, works reliably, and doesn't depend too much on the Windows version. Once you have learned it, you no longer want to be dependent on the various much more expensive commercial solutions that are only built for certain Windows versions and become obsolete with a newer version.
If you want to give it a try, here are some links:

Mikrom - thank you for your understanding. The ethernet solution does not work - I repeat that I have spent a lot of effort on trying - it is not a matter or learning, IT DOES NOT WORK; a cross-over ethernet needs ethernet ports - I don't have any to spare. But there is a wide world out there, and SOMEBODY just might know - I want to TRY to find that someone.

Crossover cables haven't been needed for about a decade since network switches started using auto-sensing technology.

If you're still using an ancient network hub or ancient CAT4 ethernet cables then that could be the problem.

No point buying CAT7 cables unless every single LAN endpoint can utilise them... but CAT6 as a minimum in these days of gigabit-capable routers/switches.

PC-Linq? You're obviously a history buff. The world has moved on since that ancient solution that used a crossover cable and techy-sounding flim-flam to hide a very simple transfer method.

an ancient network hub or ancient CAT4 ethernet cables" My ethernet cables fit into modem/router required for the replacement of ADSL2+ - fibre network - the alternative to Australia's NBN. I can't imagine that they can be ancient. My 'historical' interest is that PC-Linq worked (then) and the modern stuff does not (for me).

'My ethernet cables fit into modem/router'... the endpoint ethernet plug size hasn't changed in decades, only the capabiities of the cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back