Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make mail shorter

Status
Not open for further replies.

babeo

Technical User
Mar 30, 2000
CA
Hi all<br><br>It seems like I have problem with mail, and I don't know how to fix it, here is the message<br>&quot; mail: Too many letters, overflowing letters concatenated&quot;<br>so when I go to mail, it will display a huge mail, and I have to wait around 5 minutes then I can I read the most current one at the end.<br><br>I don't know how to truncate the mail to make it shorter.&nbsp;&nbsp;I once copy the file mbox to another filename, means the mbox is now 0 bite, but when I go to mail box on the next day - I assume to have only 1 new mail, but I still have the same problem of loading/running all old mails for 5 minutes in order to get the new/latest one display.

There is a mail file for each user in /var/mail, it is a text file and can be manipulated as such. You could create a cronjob to manage it but I would look first at why you are getting so much mail. <br>It will often be that jobs are running which are not having their output routed to log files or /dev/null and as a consequence it is routed to mail.<br> <p>Ged Jones<br><a href=mailto:gedejones@hotmail.com>gedejones@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hey<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>I can back up the mail now and make it shorter.&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes, it is the cronjob to produce that mail and I need those emails, but I prefer to read one at the time and the new one only.<br><br>Thanks alot<br><br><br>UNIX is still a mile for me to go and to refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back