Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make Files Created by user have his ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salibas

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
DE
I have a win2000 Advanced server and I made a backup script that is executed when a user logges of which will backup all changed files from the user to the server. But the problem is that the owener of the backed up files is the administrator and not the user. And I need to make a qouta for each user on the server hard disk, and it wont work if the owner of the backed up files is not the user himself.

Please advise.

How Can I change ownership using vb script. also how can i change the backup check of a file using vb?

the SUBINACL tool can change ownership for you. it's part of the W2K rez kit, but I believe you can download it if you look around a bit...

Because of an earlier security breach, many users' "personal folders" had permissions changed to block administrators from accessing the files. Yes, the offenders have been deal with.

I've taken ownership of 1900 folders and tens of thousands of child objects. With that accomplished, I've been able to fix permissions properly on all of those objects using xcacls.exe from the w2k resource kit (subinacl.exe did not work, as noted below). Now I want to give ownership back to the proper owner of each folder. Those owners will not have full control any more.

Using subinacl to change permissions and/or ownership, I get an error message:
"The RPC Server is not available. Current object will not be processed"
I'm doing this work directly on the server; the RPC service and the RPC Locater Service are both listed as "Started". I tried stopping and restarting those services, and even tried rebooting the server (both services started automatically). I still get the same error - and cannot make subinacl change the ownership (or permissions) of a folder and its child objects.

Taking ownership is relatively easy. How do I assign ownership to someone else in Windows 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back