Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make Exchange 2003 download POP3 emails to Public Folders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgmacs

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2006
US
I just installed SBS 2003. I am using the POP3 connector to download emails from outside emails to the Exchange user mail boxes. For a few outside mailboxes, I would like to download emails into certain public folders. Is there a way to do this?

Currently, I am using Outlook on the SBS 2003 machine to download and move emails from pop3 boxes using Rules Wizard.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ok - you shouldn't have Outlook on any server running Exchange. BAD BAD BAD.

I think you're looking at using a third party product like GFI's Mail Essentials.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks for the reply. I know that I shouldn't be running outllok on the exchange. I even get a warning when starting outlook. This is just a temporary solution until I get this all cleaned up.

I will look for GFI's Mail Essentials. I downloaded a third party ExchangeConnector that also does the same thing. My fear with any of these is potential holes in the network and possibly no virus and spyware checking.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I agree about not using Outlook on the server.

lgmacs, only thing I can think of is to mail enable a public folder and create a dummy user to link the POP3 connector to. You can then use AD Users & Computers properties to set up a forward from the dummy user over to the public folder. You can specify to forward without delivering to the original mailbox, so it will only go to the public folder and not be duplicated in the private store.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back