Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to make COM+ release memory after its application work is done

Status
Not open for further replies.

shresthaal

Programmer
Jun 8, 2005
US
vfp program that connects to a ms sql server to records events occuring in a website
website creates vfp object every time a user logs in or clicks on a button
how to check if there is a memory leak

also i have a test COM+ application that uses the same program but i am using it to test it on my local computer i ran a for loop like this

for i = 1 to 100
o = createobject()
o.somemethod
release o
o = null
endfor
?"finished"

after the loop is done i thought that the com+ application would end but it is still using 21672 KB memory

Well, I think this is normal. After you release your object it remains in a sort of "cache" to provide quick launch to a further use. This is called "Recycling" an you can set a "timeout" in com application property after which application and memory are released.
Be shure to compile your DLL in Fox as multithread type!

hey anicoara

the timeout thing you are talking about is it the idle timeout
field in the properties menu of COM+ application

i have set it to 3 sec but there are so many hits to the website it is rarely idle is there a test or another tool which can determine if there is a memory leak or where i can see how COM+ is working something maybe like a debugger
the DLL is compiled as a multithread in FOX i have been having this problem for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back