Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make Backup 8.6 faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jin14

IS-IT--Management
May 5, 2003
US
OK I have Backup Exec 8.6 that's connected by fiber and I can only get 50 - 70 MB's a minute. Two weeks ago I got like 200 MB's but for some reason everythings slowed down. I tested the network by moving some files over and I can do file transfers at 350MB's a minute using FTP or just Copying files over a share. Any suggestions on where to look to improve my speed? What's slowing it down?

What type of hardware are you using?, What is the fiber connecting? Tape drive/library, SAN or network connection?

Im assuming its a network connection because you mentioned that you tested the file transfer rate.

To eliminate the possibility of it being a network issue do a local back up to test the throughput on the tape drive. If it runs slow then start looking at the hardware. If not check your network connection and also the remote agents on the network servers.

Let us know how you go.

Different devices have different throughtput. Some would have buffers which makes them run fast but will slowdown as soon as the buffer is full. Also, you can't compare disk access with tape access since disk access is is usually faster than tape access. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back