Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make a VB application "web enabled"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbb

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
Is it possible to take a VB6 application and make it web enabled? Would it require a major rewrite? And, is it necessary to move it to VB.Net or can it stay in VB6?

I am being asked to find the answer to this question and I can't find any information about what all would be involved to accomplish this. So, any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

barbara

There are two definitions that come to mind when you say "Is it possible to take a VB6 application and make it web enabled?".

The first is making the application access the web.

The second is putting/creating the functionality of the application on a web server so that it can be accessed via a intranet/internet.

In both cases the answer is yes, but in the case of the second there are certain limitations and work-arounds for those limitations.

So for use to help you further are you wanting to allow your application to access the web or are you wanting to put the functionality of your program on the web.

Good Luck

I'm am interested in doing the second option you mention.

"..putting/creating the functionality of the application on a web server so that it can be accessed via a intranet/internet"

Barbara

What type of application is it? If it is a data centric application then there is no problem. If you application works with files (beyond database(s)) then there are some work arounds that will need to be done.

Good Luck

It is an application that is storing/retrieving data to/from a database via an ODBC connection. Some of the customers are using SQL Server and some are using Oracle as their DBMS.

Then you will have no problems moving your application to the web. I hope you have some experience with HTML, JavaScript, and Active Server Pages. In fact I believe this site has an Active Server Pages forum and an IIS Forum as well. I shall now direct you to these forums for questions on ASP and IIS.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back