Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to make a program that sends pcl to the printer from Mainframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeagain

Programmer
Dec 19, 2011
FR
Hi all, i am trying to make a program(in Easytrieve) on the mainframe, so that it can send PCL commands to the printer.

But the problem is that I don't know where to start.
do I hava to put the pcl commands in my program or do
I have to make a seperate file for the commands?

Please help.

Regards Tim

When I do it in COBOL, I put the PCL commands in the source code. I know very little able Easytrieve so cannot help you there.

Most PCL escape sequences use plain ASCII graphic (printable) characters (in the range 0x21 -> 0x7e), the obvious exception being the Escape character itself (0x1b).

I too have no knowledge of Easytrieve; provided that it has a means of writing a stream of ASCII characters (in this sense, I'm using ASCII to include the C0 control code characters in the range 0x00-> 0x1f, and 0x7f), you shouldn't have a problem.

Having said that, a few escape sequences have binary data associated with them; this binary data could include bytes of any value (i.e. in the range 0x00 -> 0xff).

If you need a decent looking form overlay with a logo, etc. Then, I recommend using PCLWorks's Img2PCL program to easily generate a form overlay macro or automatic overlay. Then, all you need to do is insert the appropriate PCL to invoke the macro and the absolute coordinates to position the variable data text.

It's always helpful to indicate what type of document(s) you are talking about. If they are highly structured (claim forms, invoices, etc.) or unstructured (reports, lists, ?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back