Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make a network printer available to all users? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillboy

Technical User
May 13, 2002
How can I make a network printer available to all users?

Currently, we either add the printer(s) to our install profile and copy this to the Default User before deploying the machine OR we add the printer using the network user's account after it has been deployed.

Neither of these options is useful if we want to add a printer to a network PC after it has been deployed. For example, I have a PC that is shared by 4-5 users and I want to install a new printer that is available to all of them.

Is there a way I could a printer to the All Users profile much like a program?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Will not logging on as Administrator (Local) and installing the pirnter that way not make it available to all users? This should work. James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Professional

Hey Butchrecon,

Thanks for the response...I am a little confused by your suggestion. Are you saying that I should log on locally to the PC as the Administrator and then try to install the network printer?

If so, how will this work since I will not be able to see any of the print servers as I am not on the network?

We had the same problem when we rolled out a large number of W2K Pc's in an enviroment which generated alot of profiles. The solution we employed is to configure the printers on the print server using HP Printer Wizard Software, or something similar - can't remember exactly ;o), and this gave us the option of creating an executable for each printer. When we install a printer on the PC we copy the executable on to the all users desktop so new users can double click on this and it will install automatically. Also cuts down on desktop support because the Helpdesk can drop this executable on the desktop remotely. We looked at this problem for a while and this was the best option at the time.

We had a similar problem on my network. Try installing the printer as an administrator, but instead of choosing network install, choose local install. When the wizard asks you which port you would like to use, select "create a new port" at the bottom. choose "local port" from this menu and direct this port to the network address of this printer.

When you install the printer this way the Pc treats it as a local printer and automatically gives all users access to it. Hope this helps.

I have also started to roll out Win2K Pro and have found the easiest way to set up the network printer is to have the user log in and then set up the printer and their network shares.

If you log in as Administrator you will just give the printer to the administrator.

Hi!

We use a utility called con2prt in our NT 4.0 environment. (It should work just fine for Win2K)
This is command line driven :
con2prt \\servername\printername
This little utility will connect to the printer, install drivers and you can even use it to set the default printer.
Put a shortcut to a .bat file in the machine's 'startup' folder, then connect to the admin shares of the workstations if/when you need to set up a different printer.

I like LZKs idea of saying local port, and creating one.
But, this is what I do.

I created the following batch file
addprint.bat:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /c\\%1 /n\\%2

then you run it as follows:
addprint targetmachinename server\printer

So, if you want to install a printer on that workstation in the smelly part of the building you don't even have to go over there:
addprint Shared2KBox pserver\HP9000

note: Only tested in a Win2K environment.

That bat is awesome dredoggg! I just added a printer to a computer in another state in 5 seconds. You just made my life so much easier.
Is there a way to alter it to make it remove a network printer as well? ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

do a gd inplace of ga.... ga is Add.. .gd is delete
(I've never used it though)

in fact, there are a helluva lot of switches available:
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?

glad I could help... wish I could take credit, but found that bat command on the net somewhere

If someone could help me with the batch file I would appreciate it. I am trying to install network printers.This is my addprint.bat:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /c\\%1 /n\\%2

Then I run for example:

c:\addprint chtxws064 chtxdb1\DS4000N

the workstation is: chtxws064
the server where the printer is shared: chtxdb1
the printer: DS4000N

Thank you in advance.

Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor