Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make a backup system (aix mksysb) in Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
HI
How to make a system backup in Solaris, to have a bootable tape with the sytem configuration ..; something like the mksysb in AIX.

Can't be done as is on AIX, but veritas have a netbackup product called BMR which wil do this over the network.

I've also heard good things about Lone Tar and it's 'airbag' though I've been fortunate enough not to have to use it. There's other useful threads on this in here - do a search on 'boot tape' in this forum. Cheers.

I confess I cheat. I put a second OS drive on my servers and cron a job to mirror them.

#!/bin/sh
#
/usr/bin/dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t1d0s0 of=/dev/dsk/c2t2d0s0
/usr/bin/dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t1d0s6 of=/dev/dsk/c2t2d0s6
/usr/bin/dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t1d0s1 of=/dev/dsk/c2t2d0s1
/usr/bin/dd if=/dev/dsk/c2t1d0s5 of=/dev/dsk/c2t2d0s5
fsck -y /dev/dsk/c2t2d0s0
fsck -y /dev/dsk/c2t2d0s6
fsck -y /dev/dsk/c2t2d0s1
fsck -y /dev/dsk/c2t2d0s5

If my boot drive fails I change the SCSI addresses and boot from the nightly copy I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

on solaris 8 check out flarcreate. Ive been meaning to dig into it myself but I have other stuff going on.You can read about it in the solaris8 advanced installation guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back