Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to logon to sqlserver database and run report

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
We just started using crystal reports xi and Im trying to make my first couple of reports, but I'm having trouble with logging on to the sqlserver database. I can go into the CR standard report creation wizard, create an ole db(ado) connection and I have two options. I can select my server/db and give it a userid and password. I can then put the completed report out and anybody can run it. No problem so far, but what i want to do is have the report run with the credentials of the user logged on at runtime. I thought the option for "integrated security" might solve that problem, but if i select "integrated security" and have a test user run the report, any user that runs the report gets the table data even if that user has no sqlserver permissions.

I have tried researching this but have gotten nowhere. Am I just misinterpreting what "integrated security" is? If so, how can I provide for security so that only authorized users can run certain reports?

thanks for any help...

So in defining the permissions to logon to the server, is it just sql or windows, or both. This can be found by looking at the security on the database thru the management studo. If it is defined as SQL only. Then you have to setup all the users and their passwords, so they have permissions to get to the data. And they should have read only permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back