Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to logoff inactive users from domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo2k

Technical User
Dec 19, 2002
US
Greetings everyone,

Is there a way that I can force inactive users (more the 45 min)logoff from the domain that are attached to? I have had many issues in the past couple of months and I think now is the time to do something about it. I have SBS 2008 and all the nodes are windows 7. GPO is the best solution?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

There are only two ways I know of:

* Enable the screen saver lock through GPO - not really a log off per se, but at least it will lock clients so they won't get easily hacked.

* Set login/logff times on user account objects (say, 12:30am to 11:30pm), and then set the following GPO:

\Computer Configuration\ Windows Settings\ Security Settings\ Local Policies\ Security Options\ Network Security: Force logoff when logon hours expire

Unfortunately, it doesn't give the 45-minute timeout you need. Haven't seen any other easy way to accomplish this.

Hope that gets you on the right track....

Mike Molenda - TAC Analyst

RSA Corp - Houston, TX
Technical Assistance Center

Thank you Mike! I've tried the Screen saver option and through GPO and works great!

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back