Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to log XP on to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ospdk

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
DK
Hallo !

I cant get my new laptop to connect to the win 2000 server over the LAN. I’m connected to the LAN and have internet access and I logon to XP as a user but the logon screen to the server never appears.
When I had the problem in win 98 I used to click on connect to NT network (in control panel under network)and then I worked, how dos if work in XP ?

Regards

Have you added your machine to the domain yet?

In the CONTROL PANEL, launch the SYSTEM icon and click on the Computer Name tab. Then where it says,"To rename this computer or Join a domain, click change."
Do so, and the rest should be self evident.

You will probably need to reboot, but it should come back with the option to logon to the domain/network

and you will need to supply a domain user credentials with permission to join the domain when you do this.

I have tried changing the name and reboot, but without any luck, the xp machine still don’t logon to the win 2000 server. Iám using wireless LAN but I’m connected to the LAN and is able to connect to the internet but I’m not able to connect to the server and see other computers or printers on the LAN.

right-click My Computer, Properties, Computer Name, Network ID.

Supply your domain name in full, and your domain credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back