Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to log users into database

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
Im new to .net. I have created a web site with several pages and some of those pages retrieve data from an oracle database and some from a sql server database. I have been using Web Expressions to create these pages and its easy enough to create these pages using the data control, grid control, etc..

But, none of the tutorials or readings I have found have addressed my next problem. How do I create a page that makes a user logon to the database when they request a page? When I create a data control its logon credentials are part of the control. I need some pages to require users to login to get the data requested.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to create a page that makes the user logon with their database logon?

thanks

First, what kind of authentication is your database using? (Windows authentication, sql authentication)?

If Windows authentication then you probably won't need to log into the website. ASP.NET can pull your information from the computer you are already logged in on (domain). Then you can pass these credentials to your database. We can tell you how to do that, but need to know the above first.

thanks I'll look at that link. All the databases I have to access right now are using sql authentication. I will be dealing with a database in the future that is using windows authentication though so I will have to deal with that at some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back