Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Log someone off automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishguy

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
CA
Hey everybody!

I have my own computer and live at home with my parents(I am only 17). I am forced to share the computer with my siblings. As of late, my 12 year old brother has been wreaking some havoc with my machine and I am wondering how I could set it up to log him off after a certain amount of time?...I am sure that there is an option available through administrative tools, but I have no idea where to look. Or else, is it possible to create a logoff script that would accomplish the same thing?

Any help is appreciated

BTW, I run XP Pro SP1, v5.1.2600.0 if that is of any help.

-----------------------
Fishguy

Right click on the desktop in your brother's account and go to properties. Select the screen saver tab, and along with the screen saver selection you should see a checkbox that says "Display welcome screen when returning" or something like that. That'll make it so that when the screen saver comes on, the user selection screen comes up.

You can also change your brothers user to a "standard" user. Then you can restrict him from doing a lot of damage. Also, in add\remove there is a tab for program access settings where you could block certain programs.
Read up on file security for XP, it can help a lot.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back