Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to link Access to sql database help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croiva25

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
AU
I need help with changing data source/which database my Access application connects to.
We got this application from overseas,it is a Access front with an SQL db, I have restored the database, so we have the database, however as soon as I click to do anything in the program I get an error because I need to change the database it looks for.

I was told to open the application and go Tools-Database Utility Manager and Linked Table Manager and get all the tables and select the tick box to "Prompt for a new location" however I have no tables to be selected once I open Linked Table Manager.

I have never done this before, if this sounds familiar to anybody I would appreciate any help.

Thanks all

I remember reading somehing in the FAQ's about relinking tables after they've moved....may try that.

If the tables are not showing, they are probably not linked. You can link them by going trough the external data wizard, select Link Tables, then on the Type select ODBC Databases, then create a DSN and enter your server information, if done correctly you will get a list of tables on the SQL database. Select the tables you want to link and you are done. The entire process is wizard driven so you should have no problems.

To follow up what Godofhell said, I would create a File DSN rather than a system or user DSN. With a system or user DSN you will have to set a connection on every machine you put the front-end on. If you place the File DSN on a server that everyone has access to, you won't have that problem. You set up a File DSN just like you do a system or user DSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back