Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Let Someone Use My Computer While Protecting Private Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

posterperson

Technical User
Feb 11, 2002
CA
From time to time, we find ourselves needing to turn over the use of our computer to visiting family or friends, occasionally even strangers (home exchange). Is there free software that will deny them access to certain software, private files and folders, and ensure they can't change any settings, while still letting them check their email and surf the net? Thanks in advance!

Have not tried it but you can go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Password Properties and individualize your user profile and password. But this eats up a lot of disk space.

SysProtect is a freeware utility that resides in the Windows 95/98 system tray along the bottom
right of your screen. It gives you the ability to lock down your Windows 9x workstation just as
you could with Windows NT.

---------------------------------------

Lock out others from your computor .
FreeCrypt32

---------------------------------------

LockedUp Mini Tools 1.2 Lock files and computer settings with this administrative tool.
FREEWARE WIN95/98/Me

--------------------------------

PROTECT YOUR DATA FROM PRYING-EYES

LockTight FREEWARE Security System for Windows95/98/ME/NT4/Win2000 and XP.

You cannot purchase or sell LockTight - it is FREEWARE.
Create your own scripts or base-key, based on thousands of Engine and Key Combinations to create
unlockable data-files.
There are no nags/timeouts/adverts/limited features or anything other than FULL-ACCESS to ALL
engines and features with no requirement to purchase (although a donation would be nice ;)

Lock any type of Document.

Encrypt/Decrypt any/some/all files within a directory and their sub-directories if required.

Lock Anything.

-------------------------------------------

Encryption Plus® Folders Freeware is a powerful utility that protects the contents of a single
folder on your computer. Encryption Plus® Folders Freeware uses the well-known and documented
Blowfish algorithm and a 64-bit encryption key. Just enter a password and select a folder to
apply secure file encryption to its contents. Each time Windows loads, Encryption Plus® Folders
Freeware prompts you for its password. When the proper password is supplied, it takes up
residence in your system tray and grants access to the contents of the folder. If the program
is shut down or the proper password isn't given, the contents of the folder remain encrypted.
An added feature lets you easily lock and hide your desktop when you step away from your PC.
Windows 95/98/ME and Windows NT/2000 compatible.

-------------------------------------------

stopIT is your very own Police Force for Windows 95/98/ME/WinNT/Win2k and Windows XP.

Get your head of the clouds and prevent unauthorised access to site(s)/pages from your desktop PC

--------------------------------------

NoDelete V1.5.4 [UPDATED]
Download this Award-Winning "real" file and Settings Protection Program for Windows95/98. Stop
people/programs accessing control-panel applications
(i.e. Display/Network/Internet/System/Add-Remove Program settings. Stop people/programs from
accessing AutoExec.bat,Autoexec.dos,Config.sys,Win.ini,MSDOS.sys and MORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back