Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to join NT 4.0 workstation to W2K domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

testtask

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2002
US
I am trying to join a NT4.0 workstation to a domain. The domain controller is W2K.

W2K domain dontroller: IP=192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.252.0
NT4.0: IP=192.168.1.3(used DHCP)

Both NT4.0 workstation and W2K server can ping each other by name. But when I tried to join NT4.0 workstation to the domain, I always get the error message "The domain controller for this domain cannot be located"

Any idea?

what kind of domain name did you key in? is it something like ***.com? maybe you can try ***

I tried both ***.com and ***. They return the same error message: "The domain controller for this domain cannot be located"

I can easily join a W2K professional to the domain(W2K domain controller), but can not joinr NT4.0(sp6) to the same domain.

What is the domain name ?
Does it have any characters in it that are not alpha numberic ?
Is the Workgroup name set to the same as the domain name ?

See if this site helps: . James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back