Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to join computers to domain on 802.1x enabled network

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
Hi All

Sorry, I don't really know where the best place is to post this - but I'll start here. I'm planning on enabling 802.1x on our switch for domain joined PC's. I'm planning on using IAS and I beleive that in an AD environment, the PC account can be used to to authenticate (rather than the user having to put in credentials).

My question is, how do you join new PC's to the domain in an environment like this ? Do you allow certain user accounts to also authenticate (thereby "opening" up the port on the swtich). Or do you first connect a PC that IS joined to the domain (again, to open up the port) and then plug in the new PC to be joined to the domain ? Or does anybody have any other methods ?

Thanks in advance

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

when you plug in the new pc, it will prompt you for a username and password. enter your username and password and the switch port will allow traffic to pass.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back