Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to interface with other non-cisco device

Status
Not open for further replies.

netnew

MIS
May 1, 2002
NZ
I am looking for a technical guide which can help me how to interface with a non-cisco switch. We are currently using 6509 ang 6513 in our switch clusters.
I have no problem connecting a cisco switch to our cluster but I have'nt tried connecting a non-cisco device such as switches and routers to our system. Is there a link out there which can teach how to perform the interfacing.

Thanks a lot.
netnew

Interconnecting a non-Cisco router to aa Cisco switch is no different that connecting a Cisco router to a Cisco switch, as long as the non-Cisco router is just that, a router. Meaning no layer 2 bridging, no VLAN's, etc.
However, interconnecting a non-Cisco switch and a non-Cisco router (doing VLAN's, etc) is covered here:

HTH
Todd VanDerwerken, CCNA, CCDA
Technical Consultant

Another nice feature that doesn't work if you connect non-Cisco devices to your Cisco network is the "show cdp neighbor" command.

It's a simple command, but very helpful when you're troubleshooting "what is connected to what"....

But basically, there is no problem putting non-Cisco switches or hubs on your network. We are about 95% Cisco switched, but still have a couple 10MB Cabletron hubs and a few 100MB Allied Telesyn switches.

Another thing that won't work is per-vlan spanning tree (PVST (+)), but common spanning tree is still an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back