Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install VMLite from Admin 5.0 CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinc666

MIS
Jun 11, 2008
GB
Hi all,

I'm upgrading a IP406v2 to 5.0 but Avaya have dropped support for VMLite and it can no longer be installed from the Admin suite setup. After having a look around the Admin CD (I'm using 5.0.15), VMLite is actually still there but the option to install it is hidden.

It looks like Avaya have tried to make the VMLite component appear only if it detects that you have it installed already but they seemed to have messed it up a bit. The result is the option never appears no matter where you install it or what you install it over.

If, however, you'd like to be able to choose it at install time you can apply a transform to the install package that removes the broken check and makes it availible.

For those familiar with MSI transform files, the row you want to drop is under the 'Condition' table and specifies 'Voice_Mail' as the feature. If you don't want to have to generate your own transform file I've attached one suitable for version 5.0.15 of the Admin CD (it will not work with any other version).

To use it, save the attachment to your computer and run the following command (from Start, Run);
Code:
msiexec.exe /i "[path to install files]/ip office admin suite.msi" TRANSFORMS="[path to transform file]\vmlite5_0_15.mst"

I've successfully installed VMLite this way to a fresh machine. I've not tried to upgrade an existing install of Manager/VMLite yet but there shouldn't be any reason why it won't work like previous releases.

If anyone wants detailed instructions on how to make your own transform file I'll be happy to post some.

I hope this helps some of you using VMLite; at least until Avaya choose to remove it completely from the Admin CD anyway.

Cheers.

there is no support for vmlite in v 5.0

Indeed, and why use it anyway !

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

because it is FREE you morons....

Whilst not supported by Avaya, VMLite can still be used (confirmed in this thread).

This makes it easy for those using VMLite to upgrade to 5.0.

Agin... because it is free. Believe it or not some of us only need very (and I mean very) basic functionality and VMLite is more than enough.

we use vmlite all the time tbh - tight customers - and turn it into a service (windows 2003 resource pack)

I use VmPro and restart the service every 110 minutes :)
at home I might add

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

You should also be fine just using the VMlite from the latest 4.2 Admin CD if the above seems a bit daunting as it will work but as it's not supported anyway you will not miss anything new :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Hasn't VMlite been the same version (1.4 I think) for the last 3 years? Why not just install it from the 3.1 disc in a separate directory and then install the other admin apps as usual...

Not tried this but don't see why it wouldn't work?

Don't ask me, I didn't design it.

Quite possibly Thesmash, it's been a while since I installed one and I don't remember the version but I would imagine it hasn't changed much if at all in years :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Okay, this is weird... I just installed a fresh 4.0(5) Manager/VMLite then installed 5.0(15) over the top and it recognised and upgraded VMLite too. It didn't do that when I tried it on a different machine earlier (actually in use), very strange.

Anyhoo, for those who wish to install 5.0 and VMLite at the same time using the same CD, on a completely new machine, the option's there (even if it isn't supported by Avaya).

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back