Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install OEM over Pirated XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

MowermanED

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I have a friend that has been having troubles getting updates. After questioning, I come to find out that he has a pirated copy of XP pro installed. I told him get an OEM copy from newegg.com and he wants me to install it for him. He says it's running fine now and doesn't want to have to reinstall all his programs and data. Is there some way to just change the serial numberto the legal copy? Or do I have to do a repair install, or a complete format and install?

OEM will only install Clean and cannot be used for an Upgrade.

Should you purchase an OEM license version of XP?
faq779-4004

This mentions a program to just swap Product Keys.
Undo Upgrade?
thread779-934075

Changing your Product ID after installation
faq779-4300

HOW TO: Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation

You could try Microsoft Suport and see what they say is the best option?

If I'm not mistaken, those methods only change the product key. Retail keys will not work with oem software, & oem keys don't work with retail software. I have to assume the same holds true for oem & volume license keys. And in my experience, repair installs do not change the types of product keys that can be accepted. Example, you can do a repair install of a retail copy with an oem cd, and it will still only accept retail keys.

Repair install will change types of product keys. I have done it at least once and it worked. I think, it's because setup replaces files and settings which not match to version on CD.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

My problem is SOLVED. I did a repair install with the OEM disk and it accepted the new key and activated without any problems. All programs and data were saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back