Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install Joomla DIRECTLY to the domain name without creating folder similar to domain name ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0deM0nK424

Programmer
Oct 28, 2007
GB
heres whats going on.

Its on Falcoda hosting server - home plan.

inside my public_html I have two domains (mr-manoj-kumar.co.uk and manoj-kumar.co.uk)

I asked customer service to unzip and install joomla for me onto mr-manoj-kumar.co.uk , which they did ( i was unable to do it directly from the hosting console due to no fault of my own but on their side ).

but whats happened is ... pages are appearing in a folder which I didnt want.

i.e clickong on about us takes you to:

whoa what a long untidy unnessary url !

i just wanted something like domain/about-us heh

so whats happened here ?

they told me this via email - but i couldnt make any sense of it:

Hi Manoj Kumar

Further to your email, our add-on domain function does not support Joomla or Drupal although you can install and run the scripts the url will include the folder name.

This should not cause any navigation or seo issues

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Customer Services
Falcoda Internet

Does anybody know or undersatnd what they meant by that add-on domain thing ??

and can I do anything about this - myself, in joomla's back end ? ive just started playing around with it so im a newbie heh.

They have simply unzipped the archive as is, and you had zipped it up including the folder that you were using as the local cocument root.

My suggestion is to dump the hosting and the dumbarse, clueless "technical" staff and use some hosting where the techs actually know their way around a server.

I've had to rescue a few "technically challenged" clients when they do things like that, but I would be very, very suspicious of a so called technical team that are THAT clueless.

And THIS
Further to your email, our add-on domain function does not support Joomla or Drupal although you can install and run the scripts the url will include the folder name.
could best be described as a load of bollocks!!!!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I asked customer service to unzip and install joomla for me onto mr-manoj-kumar.co.uk , which they did ( i was unable to do it directly from the hosting console due to no fault of my own but on their side ).

Is there a reason why didn't you unzip it locally and then upload the individual files yourself, as the Joomla installation directions indicate?

spamjim - that would take an eternity as the joomla master folder (unzipped) itself contains folders which contain folders and these folders contain files lol

are you suggesting i mannualy create folders - sub folders - sub-sub folders and then manually FTP across files that go into each of these folders lmao ?

: ))

my stoopid ass ALMOST did try that once heh

that would take an eternity as the joomla master folder (unzipped) itself contains folders which contain folders and these folders contain files lol

Naah! It takes a few seconds, login to your control panel, upload the archive and extract it to the document root directory, job done.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

OH I SEEEEE @ spamjim : ))

haha well i didnt think it would mate - so go one level down from the joomla folder , and proceed to ftp the files across ? but you can't ftp across unzipped folders as such - can you ?

or can you ? i think im gonna have to try this over the weekend heh

but you can't ftp across unzipped folders as such - can you ?

Do you have shell access?

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

but you can't ftp across unzipped folders as such - can you ?

Why on Earth not?

Fire up Filezilla (or your ftp client of choice), log in to the server, drag a folder from your PC to the desired destination on the server. If there are a lot of files and/or sub-folders to transfer, you might want to make a cup of tea at this point while the ftp program cycles through them - but repetitive tasks like transferring a big heap of files from one place to another is what computers were made for!

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

hi folks

okay I need Chris - and Chris only, to go here and see what the problem may be.

i did what all of you said I ought to do - which was ftp across the entire contents of the folder 'Joomla_3.1.5-Stable-Full_Package' into the mr-manoj-kumar folder.

now i've noticed something strange. All 20.8mb content successfully ftp'd across - HOWEVER, if you observe where it says site offline or online , its ghosted out.

i can't select anything. Also hitting next button (once all fields have been entered i.e email, username, password, site title, description etc) doesn't work !

its as if joomla will not run under mr-manoj-kumar.co.uk !

This is cumbersome.

Were Falcoda onto something here folks ? I could not make any sense out of what they were telling me at all - so if u can please take a look and tell me whats happening I'd greatly appreciate that.

cheers

Manoj

lol @ 'Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.'

my reaction reading that:
Laughing.png

OKAY I THINK I HAVE SOLVED THE ISSUE LOL

ALL I DID WAS - EXPERIMENT , I COPIED THE HTACCESS.TXT FILE AND RENAMED THE DUPLICATE .HTACCESS

it works now - I THINK.

need to go through the installation steps first though. Please dont hack my site Chris lol

Laughing.png

The files from the Joomla! package should go directly in the document rood directory. So assuming a default WHM/cPanel system this will be located in /home/username/public_html/ and that directory is also symlinked as '
Code:
-home/~usr/
           |______cpanel & mail folders location
           |
           |_____public_html (site files go here) [document root]
           |     |__________ website directories
           |
           |
           |-----www [symlink]

so depending on how your FTP account is setup it may open directly in the document root.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back