Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install ASPMail on remote server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonicaX

Technical User
Jul 13, 2002
US
My client has their site hosted at Earthlink. It's hard to believe, but they don't have ASPMail installed. Customer No-Support says I need to install it myself! I've downloaded it but all the instructions are for installing on a local machine -- not a remote server. And they are incredibly complex. They won't change hosts. I tried using CDOSYS, but can't get that to work. Does anyone know how to install ASPMail? I can't find any tutorials or answers on any of the forums I've checked out.

The smallest mom & pop 5.99/month hosts have ASPMail.It's crazy.

The deal with ActiveX comonents is that they need to be registered in the Windows system registry.

The way that you do this is with the RegSvr32.exe program.

If you can remote-desktop into the server (or vnc, pc-anywhere, citrix, etc) then this is no problem... but I'm guessing that Earthlink doesnt give you that option.

You might try writing an tiny ASP page that uses the .Run method of the WScript.Shell object like this:
Code:
<%
Set ob =CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
ob.Run "regsvr32 D:\inetpub\[URL unfurl="true"]wwwroot\MonicaX\aspmail.dll"[/URL]
%>

Of course you'd have to use Server.MapPath to get the actual physical path of your DLL instead of the fake path I used in that example.

Chances are however the server's permissons will be too restrictive for this approach to work... most sysadmins get touchy about users sticking stuff in the registry.

Thanks, but that is way out of my league. I don't understand half of what you said. I guess I'm going to have to try to get them to switch hosts.

Do you have any experience using CDOSYS?

MonicaX, here is my chat with EarthLink's sales person Tom:
----------------------------
Sales chat. You are chatting with Tom.
Tom: Thank you for using EarthLink's live sales chat. How can I help you today?
you: Hi, this is Wayn. Do you have any Windows Plans with ASP that have email components installed for sending emails via ASP code?
Tom: One moment while I get that information for you.
Tom: ASPMail 4.0 from ServerObjects
Tom: Does this answer your question
you: Yes.Do you have a list of other asp components installed?
Tom: What types are you looking for?
you: aspJPG, aspPDF
Tom: Sorry I don't see them but you can add them as 3rd party software
you: So, you can install them for me?
Tom: Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back