Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to? Install Applications without admin rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyvernews

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
Dear all,

Another query from myself :)

I believe there is a place in the registry that I can alter that allows me to install Applications when Logged in as a user without the proper admin rights in Windows NT 4.

Is this correct? if so, would you tell me where I would find this key? if not, could you also tell me that it is not possible.

Or is there another way to install applications with admin rights to the machine. These machines are remote and we often don't know what state the PC's are logged on as. So we would like to continue our updates without the user assistance.

Any ideas, let me know

Thanks

Paul

I don't think you can do this via a reg hack.

You could use su.exe from the resource kit to open up an administrator session from which you can install software.

hth
John

Create a user on each box that you configure called "ADMINSTALL" and give that user admin rights, then simply logon and install the software as that user. If you've already got a couple hundred systems already configured you're going to have to create that user on each unit manually, then do the logon installs from a batch file.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I reckon this is not going to be as easy as i thought.

Thank you for your time.

If you have any further ideas, post them here.

Paul

I think SMS will allow you to do what you want. If you have it.

I was just curious to find out how to do the logon installs from a batch file. I have a local admin account on every pc and want to have the users run a batch file which uninstalls an old version and installs a new version of a software. the batch file works fine if you are logged in as the local administrator...
If you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

I have also heard about the reg key. I heard the Morgan Stanley used to use it...don`t know any more than that though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back