Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to install aloha pos on server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildzx

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2004
US
hi;
I have been having so many problems with the aloha pos server, it crash few times a day and the edc stops working. And i need to rebuilt it, so i decided to just get a new server and now i need help to install the aloha software and to transfer the database to the new server.
i call the local aloha pos people but they want just way too much money big big rip off and they want me to bring all the hardware to there shop and leave it there for a week......can anyone help me with installation of aloha. (i have the keys and cds..)thanks wildzx@hotmail.com

May I ask how much they are asking?

Usually when I do this for a client I charge about 3-4 hours depending on the "pain in the ass" level. That meaning how old and how hard is it going to be to get the entire system running again. If you are going from a win98 box to an XP box, you'll have alot of configuring to do with security and usernames, etc. The age of the old hardware matters because if the hardware is starting to go bad, there might be a risk of losing data.

I'm just curious on how much they are ripping you off by!!

Adam

they want me to take all the hardware...servers..stations...to to there office...and are saying it will be around 5 hours and up....but it is pretty simple setup....i wanted them to help me over the phone, which i can pay for...but they want to do it themselves....wildzx@hotmail.com

Do you have the Aloha install CD?

They do not need the whole system. All they need is the server. Load Aloha on the new server, copy the Aloha folder from the old hard drive to the new one. There are a few misc. steps along the way, but that is the basics.
5 hours sounds about right at the high end, I don't see anyone charging less than 3-4 hours to do that job.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

That sounds like a rip off, unless you are hours away from them. If they are in the same city they should be able to just go onsite and do it. Unless you know alot about windows, services, security, etc. I wouldn't recommend doing it your self. I could sit here and type out everything you need to do, but it would take alot of pages and about an hour of my time. There are so many variables that we don't know about your system.

Basically, if I were you I would demand that your dealer come onsite and do it. Any good tech could do it in about 2-4 hours. If they can't, they shouldn't be in the POS business. A POS company cannot expect a business to go without there computers for a week, that is absolutely rediculous!!

If they will not come out, you should call Radiant systems and start a complaint about them. A product is only as good as the local support.

Adam

Example - I reload Aloha for you at my shop, configure everything, etc.. and it only takes me 45 minutes , I still have to charge you at least a couple hours labor. Remember that you aren't always getting the fastest tech to work on your machine, the next guy may take 4-5 hours and most companies will charge the "Median" rate based on the type of work done. We can help you with certain questions, but to go over everything would take forever.

Nothing is as simple as "All you have to do is......"

Something always comes up. Most dealers partition the drive, they have to load and setup their remote software, EDC and modem config, copying files, testing and burning, etc.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-

LOL!!

Can someone tell me how to rebuild my chevy 350?

Just kidding :D

Adam

Sure,

All you have to do is... pull the engine, shave the heads, (use a Bic), and pop on some new rings and bearings.

Actually, a good example. You could rebuild your own engine, but you will lack the resources (tools) that the mechanic will have. ie cherry picker, ring compressor, engine stand, etc.
So in comparison, if you have your car towed in somewhere, and have it fixed, the pricing for such action is comparable to having a computer tech come to your site and service your computer. Restaurant owner rather spend money replacing the rims on his hummer than maintaining a POS system.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-

ok.....thanks for the replies...i will go ahead tonight and try to setup the server (i don't think i can go wrong since i won't be messing up with the old server)...

i think i can deal with the installation of the aloha...but could some one provide some guide for the configuration after installation that i might need to manually install or configure or run...to get the basics up and running. Also, easy way for the terminals to recoginze the new server? thank you wildzx@hotmail.com

All of the comments by the POS guys on this post have merit. Something always does seem to come up during a back office rebuild (downloading drivers, removing applications the unit shipped with, etc), but 4-5 hours does seem excessive for a server with an OS loaded (assuming it is loaded).

On the other hand, don't expect your local service provider to jump and down when you tell them you purchased your own hardware. Not neccessarily because they aren't making money on it, but because it can be a total pain the butt and very unpredictable with proprietaty likes of Dell, HP, etc. In these cases, something definitely always seems to come up--example: they'll go to install the key and see that your new PC has no parallel port for you parallel key, or some such nonesense similar to that. Then the fun begins. :)

These problems happen less often than they use to with customer provided hardware, but I still cringe a little when people tell me they've aquired their own stuff. The bottom line is many of the customers expect it to come out of the dealer's bottom line when it starts to take too long, all because they wanted to save a few dollars and buy something inferior or unproven. And that just isn't fair. (If you are not one of these people, then you're not doing anything wrong by attempting to save some money, as long as you accept the risk involved. Many times it will cost more than what the dealer originally charges, which is typically when the crap hits the fan).

What I am getting at is that there is probably more to the story here. This may be your dealers way of saying: "Look, we don't even really want to bother with this, so we're going to try to discourage you. If you still want to do it, we're not going to say no--but we're going to charge for it."

In all fairness to them, sometimes they are trying to discourage you from something that has a good chance of being a disaster, not trying to screw to you. But too often, I've seen bad ideas that customers insisted on, suddenly become the POS company's fault when it doesn't work out.

Last thing--something for all end-users to consider, which may also be part of the story. Are you slow to pay your dealer invoices? Do you tend to blow up when things go wrong? Do you haggle or complain about every thing the dealer charges for? This could be another reason they aren't in a big hurry to jump into this project. (By the way, please don't be offended if it isn't you, just making an example). In our case, we bend over backwards for customers that are "good" to us. Everyone starts with a clean slate, but problematic customers will arise, that's just a fact a life. And I don't mean just demanding customers, we can cater to those--I mean downright only-out-for-themselves difficult.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I am not saying any of this applies to you, just pointing what might be the other side of the story. You can ask the other guys on here, I rarely stick up for an Aloha dealer :)

btw, the automobile is the greatest analogy for POS that there is--I use car examples all the time (customers seem to grasp them easily), so it made me laugh-it was dead on, too. The analogy in this case would be: Sure, we can use your equipment and your shop to rebuild your .350, but if it takes longer or we run into snags because of your equipment, it's on your dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back