Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to install a router in win 2000 - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeriyurParthi

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2001
IN
dear all,
am new to router installation. i have around 10 windows xp systems and windows 2000 server to manage all thouse 10 systems. i have a dedicated internet connection. what i need is

1) need to instal NETGEAR router in win2000 server
2) what is the use of routers installing, i heard to maintain security!, in case secutrity in what way we have to install.
lots of replies and help will be appreciated.

thanks
parthi

1. ISP -> WAN of the router.
2. Server -> to Switch of the router.
3. Client(Switch) -> Switch of the router.

Usually Router have a built in NAT and DHCP. Configure ip of the server to match the subnet of the default ip address of the router. Put the ISP ip address into the router by configuring it thru your server browser. Just type the dfault ip address of your router into the browser to do that. Configure DHCP to offer (IP addresses,gateway and dns)to the workstation.

Then set IP address of your server to be static from the pool of DHCP address of the router.

You have problem along the way post it here.

Parthi:
The router provides NAT (network address translation). That means your 10 computers cannot be seen from the internet. When your computers go out on the internet, they pass through the router which automatically assigns a new TCP/IP address. Your internal addresses remain private. You do not need to enable DHCP on the router (due to your pre-existing method of internal networking, i.e., static IP's or DHCP on your Win 2000 server, whichever you have been using may continue to be used. If static IP's are being used on each computer, you will need to configure a gateway on each machine (as well as DNS with the ISP's DNS IP address). Then you will need to configure the router with the SAME information. If you are using DHCP in Win 2000 to network your machines, simply modify DHCP on the server to add the router as a gateway and then configure the router as a gateway (preferably with a static TCP/IP address within your Win 2000 scope of available addresses); also, configure your router with your ISP's DNS. Be sure you disable DHCP on the router itself so it does not conflict with the Win 2000 DHCP. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back