Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Install a printer through DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgundave

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
GB
Hi All,

Does anyone know the CMD to install a printer through DOS?

Regards,

Shotgun

Generally there are no DOS based commands to load printers. If there is for your specific printer it will probably be an install or setup file on a floppy that came with the printer.
POST and BIOS identify and link the parallel port into the operating system and generate the tie in points.
You asked the question for a reason. What is the real problem.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for the reply. I have to install a printer on a PC connected to a network.

I am unable to install the printer through the operating system (NT) as the option has been restricted by the network administrator (who I currently am unable to get hold of).

I tried to think of another way of doing this and thought that it may be possible through DOS.

Note: The printer I am tring to install is connected directly to my PC and I do not wish it to be connected to the rest of the network.

Thought this was relevant.

NT is a special animal. The other machines use NT's printer drivers to print. So the drivers need to be there.
My network uses a bunch of DOS stuff so it is basically a hook it up and start printing across the network from DOS machines. And the drivers are on individual windows machines, but I've not installed any NT machines on the net. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back