Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install a new OS on a 3 OS machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungmc

Technical User
Oct 19, 2000
US
Hello folks!

I did a quick search for this on the forum but didn't find anything definitive. I have a 40GB hard drive, partitioned into 3 sections. Drive 'c' has Windows 98SE, drive 'd' has Win2K Pro, and drive 'e' has Win XP Pro. Now my problem is, I want to get rid of the Windows 98SE OS on drive 'c' (which is also the Active partition) without screwing up my boot options when I first turn the machine on. I'd like to change the Win 98SE partition to a Windows ME OS. I believe my boot options are stored on the c: drive in the BOOT.INI file. I'm not comfortable editing this file, so would simply copying it, and then putting it back on the C: drive AFTER I've wiped it out and put on Win ME do the trick?
Also, is there an easier way to do this? Does Partition Magic make this task simpler, or similar software?

Thank you guys!

-Greg

You could format the 'C' Partition with either the bootable CD or user-creatable Rescue diskettes, or PartitionMagic itself from Win2K or WinXP, then install WinME on it...But be VERY careful with PartitionMagic. Before you format the 'C' partition, make sure that PartitionMagic and BootMagic will recognize at least one of the other 2 partitions. Otherwise, you could end up doing what I did....being STUCK with that partition, not being able to get Win2k or WinXP to boot up.

I myself made this terrible mistake. I had one partition with XP. I created a new one, set it active, and installed Win98 only to find that Win98 had trouble booting up, and that PartitionMagic AND BootMagic would not recognize the other partition. I am in the process of TRYING to fix it, but I think I need to use my computer manufacturer's Recovery CD, which blows away ALL partitions and Data, and restores WinXP. But I am in the process of trying to borrow a WinXP Install CD, so I can boot up my system.

The Bottom Line: Be VERY careful with PartitionMagic and with multiple partitions/multiple OS boots. Home computers are not made for this procedure.

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

Sorry, about those bootable CDs and boot disks, those are from PartitionMagic. Make a rescue disk, or PartitionMagics CD is bootable. Just to clarify and clear up any confusion.

ComputerCop911
ASP/HTML Programmer, Knowledgeable Computer Hardware/Software Geek ;-)

Would suggest the PM and BM route, to be installed in the 98 first in order to create the full set of rescue disks, 1 for BM and 2 for PM. And get it working the way you want it before you nuke the 98.
Reload ME will wipe out the boot choices and the rescue disks will allow you to recreate the sequence on the hard drive.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You know the best solution is to get this device that goes into one of your CD bays and it switches to different hard drives by selecting which hard drive to boot from. I forget what they call it.. but I had a customer who I made a computer with one of those in it. He used 4 smaller hard drives on that device, and a large hard drive for storage not attached to the switching device.. giving him the ability to boot from 4 OSes... you could do more by using software on each drive.. but that really is a clean way to do it.. but it'll cost ya for all those drives! =)

I would suggest you try one of the OS forums. Your hardware seems to be working OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back