Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install 2ND Hard Drive as Primary SLAVE on IBM Server 9595-0PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRAMO4298

Technical User
Nov 23, 2001
US
Hello:

HARD DRIVE = IBM DFHS S2F 2GB (FRU 76H0955) SCSI 50-pin (S/N: 68 B43506 F4)
STICKER LABEL = GFM2266268 ( DATE: 22/96)

So far I have setup this 2ND hard drive in it's bay (above the Primary Master HDD).

The Jumper Settings (on FRONT of HDD) "were" set the SAME as the Primary Master . . . (i.e.) 2 jumpers on the first 4-pins on left . . . next 3-pins are OPEN . . . 2 jumpers on the next 4-pins.

On this 2ND HDD - I removed jumpers from the first 2-pins on the left and last 2-pins on the right (one pin above the other).

The CABLE has 5-Connectors on it - so I connected this 2ND HDD to the next connector after the MASTER HDD.

So, now I am up to "OPTION DISKETTE" needed in F1 SETUP.

Not sure, but I downloaded file "_0709.ADF" and renamed it to "@0709.ADF" . . . would this be the OPTION DISKETTE file I need?

QUESTIONS:
1) Where can I discover how to JUMPER this 2ND HDD as "SLAVE?"

2) Where can I get the needed "IBM OPTION DISKETTE?"

3) Must I install "another" BusLogic ADAPTER CARD in order to use this 2ND HDD?

4) Basically, does anyone the whole procedure for installing a 2ND SCSI HDD on this IBM Server 9595-0PT ???????

THANK YOU for any help or guidance.

MY MACHINE:

IBM SERVER 9595-0PT 1993
IBM 8513 Color 14" Monitor
IBM Server 95 System Board
IBM XGA-2 Display Adapter/A
IBM MCA SCSI Host Adapter
BusLogic MultiMaster SCSI Host Adapters
Intel Pentium(tm) 60 MHz CPU
Windows 95-B OSR2.5 v4.00.1111
BIOS: 08/26/1993
(2) IBM DFHSS2F 2GB SCSI Hard Drives
(1) SCSI-2 I/O Adapter
(1) 1.44 MB Generic Floppy Disk Drive
64 MB RAM, 63 MB Enabled
Standard 101/102-Key Keyboard
System Board Parallel Port
System Board Async Port 1
System Board Async Port 2
High Speed Parallel Port
Standard PS/2 Mouse Port
Mouse
Information Panel
SMC EtherCard PLUS/A
Network Card MAC Address: 00:00:C0:E15:85
Internet Explorer 4.72.2106.1

on scsi there is nothing like master and slave, instead you jumper id´s. check wich id´s are free on your controller and then jumper the hdd to on of these id`s. either there is a label on the drive itself wich say´s how to jumper wich id or check the manufacturers homepage. one of the jumper is responsible for termination, donno wich. for sure the same settings than the primary hdd are wrong.
the option disk u need to update the bios (i think), no idea wich and where t0 get (manufacturer). a scsi controller can handle 7 devices, so you wont need to install another one.
i hope i could help u a bit,
cheers

Thanks for reply, LEMON13:

Well, through "trial and error," I have that 2nd drive installed and operating, but after reviewing the following ANSWER TO MY QUESTION . . . I can see that BOTH drives are setup a little wrong (but working).

ANSWER TO MY QUESTION:

>QUESTIONS:
>1) Where can I discover how to JUMPER this 2ND HDD as "SLAVE?"

First off: the basic concept of SCSI is totally different to IDE.

There is no "primary master", "slave" and whatnot. SCSI is a *Bus* unlike to IDE - which is just a harddisk attachment interface (well - okay: and for CDs and some tapes).
SCSI has a host controller and devices.

They differ by the SCSI device ID: ID 7 is usually the controller, leaves 7 IDs for devices. At IBM the first HD is normally at ID 6, second at ID 5 .... down to the seventh at ID 0.

So you can connect at least 7 devices to one SCSI chain - which is an advantage over the 4 devices on a dual-channel IDE ... you can attach 15 devices to a "Wide" SCSI (16-bit) bus.

If you look at the drive you will find *a lot* jumper positions. Normally there is a decal with the jumper description on the top or front of the drive. The jumpers on a 50-pin ("Narrow", 8-bit SCSI device) runs ID2, ID1, ID0, marker pin (one pin only), Motor Start Delay, Termination Enable ... etc.

The device-ID is composed by jumpering ID2, 1 and 0 accordingly. ID2 has a "value" of 4, ID1 of 2 and ID0 of 1. If you stuff jumpers across all 3 ID-pin you get the SCSI ID 7 ... which is occupied by the controller already. SCSI ID 6 adds from jumpering ID2 (4) and ID1 (2). SCSI chains must not have devices with identical IDs. So your second HD needs to be jumpered at SCSI ID 5. Jumper ID2 (4) and ID0 (1) and you're done.

On the DFHS-S2F you should now have a "jumper pattern" like that:
JJx.JJ ...
.. which represents SCSI ID6 (left two jumpers). For ID 5 make it
JxJ.JJ ...
where "J" is a jumper and "x" is an open pair of pins.

Assumed the previous owner did everything right SCSI termination wise and left the so-called "Reference Partition" on the first HD intact you should have no problem. Jumper the drive to SCSI ID 5, remove the "Term Enable" jumper from it (6th position from the left - or second jumper right from the single pin), attach it to one of the "inner" plugs on the SCSI cable. The first drive needs to be terminated and installed at the end of the cable !

Attach power to the drive and fire the box on.

Most likely you get into a configuration error - which will dump you automatically into the the setup program on that "Reference Partition". If you add or remove something in the machine you'll get a config error and land there.

Often "Automatic configuration" is offered. Try that - but be warned: if the previous owner missed to update the reference partition with the adapter informations you will get "Unknown Adapter in Slot x" and that card is disabled.

If you pick manual configuration you get into "Set / View Configuration" from the main menu - then "Set configuration". If you only want to look after the SCSI device configuration you pick "Set / View SCSI configuration" there. All devices should be shown under their IDs along with their function and drive size. E.g. "ID 6 - Harddisk - 2048 MB" or suchlike.

If everything is okay press [F10] to save the configuration , [F3] to get out of SCSI config, [F3] to get out of Set Configuration. A window appears that asks you to press [Enter] to restart the machine. And [Enter] again to actually restart.

So far - so good.

If you'd made it up to here you should be able to see the drive under e.g. DOS (press [F8] when the line "Starting Windows ..." appears. Then pick "Command Line only"). Use FDISK to check if there is a second drive, select drive 2, install a primary partition on it, leave FDISK, reboot, enter DOS again and run a FORMAT D: (most likely - if your first HD contains only one partition, which is C: then).
After that Win95 should be able to see and access the second HD.

>2) Where can I get the needed "IBM OPTION DISKETTE?"

For what card ?

Option disks are for cards only. HDs are SCSI devices, covered with the SCSI adapter already. No additional stuff required.

A good source for infos and files (mailed) is the usenet newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware.

3) Must I install "another" BusLogic ADAPTER CARD in order to use this 2ND HDD?

No.

I think that adapter has been installed additionally to attach to an external tape or CD-ROM device / changer, whatever. The Buslogic has a standard 50-pin Sub-D external port, the IBM SCSI adapters haven't. They use a half-pitch Centronics style connector that is known as "IBM RS/6000 connector". Cables for that are rare and damn expensive.

The easier method is installing a second SCSI adapter with a standard port, like the Buslogic BT640 or the Adaptec AHA-1640 or the Future Domain MCS-700.

The first HD on your computer will surely run off the IBM SCSI adapter - and so does the second if you attach it to the same cable.

THIS PROBLEM IS SOLVED !!!

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back