Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to insert quotes and double quotes in Oracle8i table 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejanj

Programmer
Apr 22, 2002
AU
Dear All,

Does anyone know how to insert " (double quotes) and ' (single quotes ) into oracle8i table.

For example i 'v got a table :
CREATE TABLE "GCC"."SGCCSUSR"("ENCRYPTED" VARCHAR2(132) NOT NULL);

..the value i need to insert is

18571!"#$% !"AEOLR% !"Dhrou(Hlvxz'vcpi%&'(#$%&'("#$%&'("#$%&'(Dhrou(Ndwy&uioh$%&'(cbdv$% !"1214541015 !"DLLLWAB"#$% !" !" !" !"/

How do i do this?

Regards
Dejan

Double quotes chr(34) is an ordinary character. Single quote should be either doubled ('O''Briens') or used as chr(39) ('O'||chr(39)||'Briens')

Regards, Dima

Dejanj,

As Dima mentions, you don't need to worry about double quotes ("). Just type them into your string. Single quotes in Oracle literals are a nuisance. As an alternative to Dima's excellent method, choose some unused character in your encryption string to replace all the single quotes. Then translate the unused character into a single quote. In my example, below, I chose the "^" character to act, temporarily, as a single quote:

Insert into GCC.SGCCSUSR values
(translate('18571!"#$% !"AEOLR% !"Dhrou(Hlvxz^vcpi%&^(#$%&^("#$%&^("#$%&^(Dhrou(Ndwy&uioh$%&^(cbdv$% !"1214541015 !"DLLLWAB"#$% !" !" !" !"/','^',chr(39));

Try it and let us know how you like this method.

Dave
Sandy, Utah, USA @ 07:55 GMT, 00:55 Mountain Time

Thanks guys,

Much appreciated for the tip. I am trying to create a script in SQL PLus for Oracle for that insert and adding ' to single quotes works but then Oracle SQL Plus complains saying that column is not long enough for the value to be inserted.

I am trying to use EXP feature once i create a record for the table and make user use IMP

Not sure yet...

Regards
Dejan

This may mean that you add more quotes than you need :)

Can you provide the code you used? Single quotes must be double in string literals, not in strings as such. So, if you want to insert O'Briens to varchar2 field, the statement should be

insert into names values ('O''Briens')

Though, if some variable, say :name, already holds this value (regardless on how it was initially assigned), you shouldn't change it:

insert into names values :)name)

insert into names select name from old_names

Regards, Dima

Dima, SantaMufasa

Thanks for your replies. Really appreciate it.

I found out this strange behaviour!!
THis is Oracle8i. I am using Win2000 as Oracle Client and Oracle8i database is on another PC on the network.

WHen i use SQL PLus worksheet to insert the record in table

INSERT
INTO GCC.SGCCSUSR
( ENCRYPTED )
VALUES
('18571!"#$% !"AEOLR% !"Dhrou(Hlvxz''vcpi%&''(#$%&''("#$%&''("#$%&''(Dhrou(Ndwy&uioh$%&''(cbdv$% !"1214541015 !"DLLLWAB"#$% !" !" !" !"/');

..i got error message

Enter value for uioh: old 5: ('18571!"#$% !"AEOLR% !"Dhrou(Hlvxz''vcpi%&''(#$%&''("#$%&''("#$%&''(Dhrou(Ndwy&uioh$%&''(cbdv$% !"1214541015 !"DLLLWAB"#$% !" !" !" !"/')
new 5: ('18571!"#$% !"AEOLR% !"Dhrou(Hlvxz''vcpi%&''(#$%&''("#$%&''("#$%&''(Dhrou(NdwyOEM_sqlplus_input_finished$%&''(cbdv$% !"1214541015 !"DLLLWAB"#$% !" !" !" !"/')
INSERT
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column

But when i log in DBA studio and then type in exactly the same command using Free SQL mode

INSERT
INTO GCC.SGCCSUSR
( ENCRYPTED )
VALUES
('18571!"#$% !"AEOLR% !"Dhrou(Hlvxz''vcpi%&''(#$%&''("#$%&''("#$%&''(Dhrou(Ndwy&uioh$%&''(cbdv$% !"1214541015 !"DLLLWAB"#$% !" !" !" !"/')

..i got Table is updated sucessfully.

As you can see i used extra ' to add at the end of each ' in string.

What is happening?
Any idea. Can you guys test and tell me what do you get.

Thanks

Dejan

Dejan,

Your error resulted from the "&" character that appears in your encryption string. The "&" character is the default symbol for the "define literal" functionality in SQL*Plus. The way you can avoid the problem is to issue this command at the SQL*Plus prompt before trying your INSERT:

SET DEFINE x

...where x is some obscure character that will never appear in your encrypted insert string.

Let us know if that resolves this particular problem for you.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 08:25 (03Dec03) GMT, 01:25 (03Dec03) Mountain Time)

Thanks Mufasa,

I did in SQL pLus

set define '^';
INSERT
INTO GCC.SGCCSUSR
( ENCRYPTED )
VALUES
('18571!"#$% !"AEOLR% !"Dhrou(Hlvxz''vcpi%&''(#$%&''("#$%&''("#$%&''(Dhrou(Ndwy&uioh$%&''(cbdv$% !"1214541015 !"DLLLWAB"#$% !" !" !" !"/');

..and i got 1 row created but when i inspect in DBA Studio
record was not there!!

I tried from my Development environment to run the remote view on Oracle GCC.SGCCSUSR table and the result was no records.

I don't know what i am doing wrong.
Thanks for your help.

regards
Dejan

Dejan,

Since you didn't mention it, I thought I'd better ask: Did you issue a "COMMIT;" statement following your insert?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 05:16 (04Dec03) GMT, 22:16 (03Dec03) Mountain Time)

Thanks Dima , Mufasa

Since in SQL PLus SET COMMIT is by default OFF i needed it.
so

set define '^';
INSERT
INTO GCC.SGCCSUSR
( ENCRYPTED )
VALUES
commit;

does the job no problem.

Regards
Dejan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back