Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to increase system Resources 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoMaX

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
CA
How can I increase system resources? I have a user that opens and closes programs alot and it eats up lot of system resources

I read an article about keeping resources high. When you start the computer, make sure there aren't too many extraniuos things running in MSCONFIG. And you shoudl open whatever big programs that you normally use, and keep them running. Don't close the seeion then re-opem. That is what drains the resources too fast.

The other way to increase resources, would be to get more RAM. If that's an option for you. [deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

This is overkill I know , some information may not be relevant , but
for those that are reading this question & learning rather than
answering , they may get something out of these extra sites .

Windows Resources vs. Memory

-----------------------------------

More Resource Leak-Tweaks .

----------------------------------

--------------------------------------

-------------------------------

System Resources .
GDI and User Resources explained .

Free up Conventional Memory .

The thing is that he is not exiting the program just minimizing it and the system resources drop after he minimizing the program and going back to full screen.

What's the name of the program? Is it "any" program? What version of windows are we talking about? What's the hardware config look like (amount of RAM, processor, etc...)?

Some programs are just poorly written and usually gobble more resources than they need to in Win9x environments.

The more you tell us, the less we have to ask!!

Well its Pentium 200MMX with 64Megs of Ram. It is using Accumark and another program called PDS(Product Data Management. These programs are used for creating and designing clothing for clothing manufacturers. Its an old program that has to be run under win95. I have some users that have the exact same setup that do not have the same problem and I don't want to format his computer and rebuild it.

I don't realy know what you want but if you just want to free up some resources and if win.95 in the same as win.98 which if I remember it's pretty close you can go to start>acces.>sys. tools>sys. info.>tools>startup and uncheck everything but system tray and anyother program that you know you need which I assume would be design one.. I have win.98 333MMX 128 ram and unchecked all but system tray, InCd, Tweak and Internet answer mach. my reserves are now up to 95% on a freash boot and right now with 4 windows open is at 55% try it and if it dosen't help just recheck the boxes

ram wont help much.

if programs run, they use resources. if u want more free
resources, end programs.

windows itself will use resources, more the longer the session.

so basically, do as stated above, and turn off programs or it will use more resources.

good luck

:-Q x->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back