Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Increase C:/ capacity...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLBaby

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2003
US
I have partion with Fdisk C:/ and D:/ win XP pro installed, C:/ drive capicty is very low now while D:/ i have more than 30 GB available, how can i add some (10-GB) from D:/ to C:/ without loosing data....?

Knowledge is a key of success.

The free Knoppix Live CD v3.9 or later contains QTParted, a partitioning application that has the ability to dynamically resize partitions. There is a risk of data loss (as there always is with this type of operation) however I've used it successfully on several different machines without any loss of data.

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

I had a problem like that when I installed my 300gb hardrive. What I did was install xp the regular way then used the mmc snap in for your hard drive and partioned it before I installed any software.

Malik
where your problems are our solutions!!

XP doesn't generally recognise disks larger than about 200gb without adding an entry into the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]
EnableBigLba=DWORD:1

by adding this in you are adding in support for 48-bit LBA which is required for larger capacity IDE\ATA disks.

As for resizing partitions then there are a couple of programs out there.

Partition Magic by Symantec is about the most common out there and can be used to create a bootable floppy to do the job for you.

I would suggest that in the future you use the XP cd to create the partitions you want.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

This thread might be worth a read, it also might show you how to recover GB's of space without resizing any partitions.

Relocating Hard Drive Capacity and File Compression
thread779-939540

For resizing software this is free to try and well worth a look. Remember to back up anything valuable before working on partitions.

BootIt NG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back