Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to include variable options in a scheduling applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwdpwd

Vendor
Nov 25, 2009
GB
Hi all,

Would appreciate some help with VBA; I cannot seem to get my head around this logic. I have a vehicle scheduling application which works well; the user inputs start & end dates, and the interval that the schedule should take place. A schedule is generated and the resulting 'service dates' are then written to the Dates table. So far so good.

I have added 5 fields (all yes/no) to these records, and, depending on certain criteria elsewhere in the database set by the user, 2 of these fields are marked as true or false. Again, so far so good.

I now want to be able to control the 3 remaining fields by additional criteria that the user would input:

The first is the titles of the fields - which I would do by using parameter fields.

The second is to allow users to be able to determine whether they wish to have the field(s) marked as 'True' when a Vehicle Schedule is generated depending on the interval indicated, using the following 2 criteria:

- Whether they wish to have the field marked as true on every service date, on alternate dates or every 3rd date etc and

- When they wish that sequence to start – on the first service date generated, or the second etc.

I believe that the best way to control the above would be to have 2 further control fields for each of the 3 yes/no fields - each accepting positive integers (say 1 to 5) and then build these numbers into the generation process. That's the bit that's causing a headache! Is there a way of building something into a loop process that misses every other, or every third etc?

The code for the existing generation is included below; any help would be much appreciated:

Code:
Sub Generate()
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'   GENERATION PROCESS
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''
'   Defines Variables for Generation
''''''''''''''
Dim Date1 As Date, Date2 As Date
Dim Numb As Integer
Dim dbs As Database
Dim rstDates As Recordset
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set rstDates = dbs.OpenRecordset("Dates")
Numb = (Me![InspectionInterval]) * 7
Date1 = (Me![FirstInspection]) - ((Me![InspectionInterval]) * 7)
Date2 = (Me![LastInspectionDate])
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'   Generates the Schedule
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Generate:
    With rstDates
        Do
            Date1 = Date1 + Numb
            .AddNew
            !ServiceDate = Date1
            !ServiceMonth = !ServiceDate
            !VehicleID = (Me![VehicleID])