Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to implement Redundancy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aolvera

Technical User
Jun 9, 2009
MX
Is the first time that I´m work with Cisco -Call Manager-, the customer requires a Publisher, 3 Subcribers (1:1) and TFTP server,

My question is how to implement redundancy..?? I need to generate a "Group 1" with this configuration..??
[CM Publisher]
[CM Sub First Backup]
[CM Sub Second Backup]
[TFTP Server]
This is possible..?? is correct..??

thanks for yours suggestions...

Generally, unless you have a very large cluster, you can configure the publisher as a TFTP server as well. For phone redundancy, create a CallManager Group with the main subscriber first, then failover subscriber, and finally the publisher (if you so choose). Assign this to the device pool(s) that the phones use and they will register to the CallManagers in that order once they download their config from the TFTP server.

At our main site, we have 4 servers (pub and 3 subs) with the two lists (split 50/50 between the phones/gateways/DSPs).

List 1:
sub1
sub3
pub

List 2:
sub2
sub3
pub

As you can see, subs 1 and 2 handle the call processing with sub3 as the standby should one of them fail. If I loose both the primary sub and failover sub, then there's still the pub.

As for TFTP servers, while it's possible to have redundant ones, it's usually not necessary. Most phones will remember their registration info, so if they can't reach the TFTP server, they will still register to the CallManagers as before. With a down TFTP/Publisher, you only loose your ability to register new phones and deploy firmware upgrades. But if your publisher is down, those will be the least of your concerns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back