Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to I disable NOTICE messages from displaying on console

Status
Not open for further replies.

rscotty

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2002
US
I am running SCO UNIX 5.0.6 with a Broadcom network card. Everytime I disconnect the network cable I get a "NOTICE:bcme: NIC Link is down" message displayed on the console. How do I disable these errors from being displayed to the console? I have tried the space.c file for tcp without success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Normally you would be able to control the error message destinations using /etc/syslog.conf, but it seems like SCO OpenServer handles some messages externally to syslog.

You could try increasing the priority required for messages to be displayed the console by adding this line to /etc/syslog.conf, but I don't hold out much hope:

[tt]kern.warning /dev/console[/tt]

Note that you must use tabs between the two parameters, not spaces. Then kill -HUP `cat /etc/syslog.pid` to make syslogd re-read the configuration file. See the syslogd(ADM) man page for more information.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back