Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to host files on a PC in the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siridhar

Technical User
Oct 20, 2002
IN

Hello

I installed Apache http server just today and here's the situation:

-> In my home three computers are connected using a router.

-> Apache server is up and running on my computer.

-> I have access to a shared folder on one of my roomie's computer (This is how I access it: My network places -> Shared Music on Meka's Wonder Machine (Meka)windows - >telugu; explorer path: \\MEKA\Shared Music\telugu).

-> Is it possible for me to put the files required for web hosting on this shared folder (which resides on his computer) while the server is running on my computer? If yes, how.

I tried changing Document Root (and the next instance where it's to be changed) from the default 'C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs' to '\\MEKA\Shared Music\telugu', but it didn't work.

Appreciate any help or pointers on this.

Thanks a lot,

Sridhar

One problem with doing what you're trying is that if your roomie's computer is down, your website will appear to be also. As for your problem, by default, Apache looks for index files within the document root - index.htm, index.php, etc.

Have a look at this FAQ, it should lead you to a better solution, using your existing page.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that his computer needs to be ON for my web site to work.

Also tells about how to provide access to the site's visitor to another folder on the same _drive_ on the same computer.

Meaning, if the Document root is say, C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs, sure I can provide access to another folder with in C drive, like C:\sysreset, but what I am trying to do here is to give the user access to a folder that is _not_ on my computer.

I tried another approach, created a mapped drive (M:\) and tried setting the Document Root to that, this isn't working either.

Hope I am clear.

Is the error 'Forbidden'?

by default, Apache looks for index files within the document root - index.htm, index.php, etc.

Do you have an index file in that directory.

siridhar

Never post the actual URL to a thread or FAQ, always use the links that are provided.

If you look at the top of this page just under the heading of this thread, there is a link that says thread65-434497

These links appear on all pages of the site, (FAQ's, Forums, Threads) and when you post them into a thread, Tek-Tips automatically parses them to point tho the specific place.

Hope this helps Wullie

- Send your e-mail to santa!! [santa]

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Actually in fairness to siridhar, he probably copied that from my post which was a copy & paste and usually removes the extraneous stuff and parses correctly. For some reason, it didn't in this case.

smah

I never noticed that you had posted that first.

TT has added a few new security checks to the way the site works. Still, posting a full url is a bad practise as someone clicking on that URL will assume your identity on TT. This site uses sessions that are passed in the url so your credentials are taken by anyone else that clicks that URL.

Merry Christmas to All!! [santa]

Hope this helps Wullie

- Send your e-mail to santa!! [santa]

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back