Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to hide right scrollbar??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Both scrollbars (bottom and right) usually shows up when the page overlaps the size of the window. I'm trying to make a webpage that only shows the bottom scrollbar to scroll sideways, but whenever I do that, the right scrollbar still shows up and I dont even have anything below the page. Is there a way to hide the base of the right scrollbar, and leave the bottom scrollbar showing?

try adding this to the body tag:

scroll=no Robert Carpenter
questions? comments? thanks? email me!
linkemapx@hotmail.com
online.dll

AIM & MSN: robacarp

It doesnt work, I guess there is no code for it. But Does anybody know how to move the scrollbar on the left side?

Hi there,

It's not exactly what you are asking for but there is a property in cascading style sheet that allows you to define the overflow property of an element.

You could have, for instance the following:
<div style=&quot;position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 80%; height: 7em; overflow: auto&quot;>Your content goes here</div>. Of course, you should play with the parameters until you have the expected results.

I thought you might you use it because, as far as I know, there is no way to move the scrollbar on the left. But please let me know if this is not what you wanted as there might be other solutions.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

xso

Hey xso,

I found this Personal Webpage and she has her scrollbar on the left side.

I've viewed the source code and this &quot;scrollbar-position: left; }&quot; was added. Though when I tried this, it didnt show up on the left side.

<style type=&quot;text/css&quot;>
<!--
a:link { color: #2A4D07; text-decoration: none }
a:visited { color: #2A4D07; text-decoration: none }
a:hover { color: #2A4D07; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none }
a:active { color: #2A4D07; text-decoration: none }
font { font-family: arial; font-size: 8pt }
BODY { scrollbar-3d-light-color:#7DAC4D;
scrollbar-arrow-color:#AED884;
scrollbar-base-color:#7DAC4D;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#AED884;
scrollbar-face-color:#AED884;
scrollbar-highlight-color:#AED884;
scrollbar-shadow-color:#7DAC4D;
scrollbar-position: left; }-->
</style>

you can also put the whole page inside a div tag and put dir=ltr inside the div tag for that effect Robert Carpenter
questions? comments? thanks? email me!
linkemapx@hotmail.com
online.dll

AIM & MSN: robacarp

Hi Guest0000001,

Thanks for the code. I think there is a slight misunderstanding here. In my previous post, I meant that it was not possible to have the scrollbar of the browser window on the left-hand side of the screen. It's of course possible to have the scrollbar of an html element (like a div or a body in this case) on the left, using css, exactly the way she did. That's what I meant in my previous post: create, via css, a scrollbar for an HTML element (like body).

By the way, the code she uses works fine in IE6. However, the results do not look good in Mozilla. It may not be an issue now, but might become in the future as Mozilla has been adopted by CompuServe as their browser, and AOL is currently testing it for the next version of its browser.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

xso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back